Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Calling . . .

If you all don't read girl talk, do it! I have been stretched, called, challenged, encouraged, and blessed by reading this blog.

Their most recent topic, "Doing him good" has been particularly challenging and encouraging to me. I am going to give you a dose of total honesty here . . . in the midst of a busy and hectic schedule, one of the last things I have felt like doing is looking for "additional" ways to "do good" to my husband. Most days I feel like just getting the clean clothes upstairs, food prepared, baby taken care of, and most of the junk cleaned up in our house is a huge stretch for me. However, I think God wants more from me. . . read on!

My attitude towards this challenge was very negative at first. I struggle with the "what about me" syndrome and that's not good! I was challenged by my attitude. I mean, hello, it is in the Bible, so obviously, I am called to do it! I am being fed lies from the world that I don't need to make an extra effort to help my husband and let him know he is appreciated. In fact, I have been challenged lately that I am called to put these needs above those of my child. Obviously, with her being a helpless baby, I need to feed her, bath her, love her, shelter her (and we do all those things and more) but I need to have an appropriate balance of these relationships.

I have seen some beloved people go through turmoil lately and this has driven this point home even further. People are walking on dangerous ground when one person in the relationship (or both) feel neglected, unappreciated, unloved, disrespected, or unwanted. So, my resolve is to look for little ways to bless my husband. They don't have to take hours. I started last night by making his lunch. I continued this morning but forgiving him and laughing, instead of getting mad, that he forgot to take the lunch. I am far from perfect and I'm sure I will fail each and everyday in my actions and attitude but it's still worth the effort because I am certainly blessed to be his wife!

In remembering years past, here is a link to a post I wrote on this very blog about Andrew. It seems so long ago, many states away! He no longer makes the bed (since I'm still in it when he leaves) and I am the one who generally handles the money now . . . but the rest is true! :)

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

It only gets harder the more kids you have! It truly is so easy to get fooled by the world. When I'm home all day with the kids and keeping the house up and cooking the meals and doing the laundry, and then he comes home and falls asleep?!? But that's an incredibly selfish attitude. I need to look at it as--he's been working a minimum of 12 hr. days and gets up super early and goes to bed late and he works so hard to provide for us. The LEAST I can do for him is take care of our children and our house! And really, the more serving I am toward him, the more serving he'll be toward me (not to make that sound like I should serve him just so he'll want to serve me, but I think you understand what I mean). When all he gets is grumpy and huffy, why would he feel inclined to respond with anything but the same? It's a vicious circle that's hard to break.
Thanks for sharing--it's hard to be transparent! If we only allow Him, God can work great things in our lives.

Unknown said...

Jaime, the following line in your poem--My husband says I'm beautiful so I know That he will love me even though my thighs may grow--made me laugh out loud in my office. Thanks for being transparent and sharing your heart. I now have a reader so I can get your blog posts as soon as you write them! Your blog is one of 2 that I now follow :)

Unknown said...

Wow, Melanie. I am so honored to be one of the blogs you read regularly. I must admit that I laughed at that line myself. I was so clever three years ago! :)

I feel the same way, Jenn. It has also helped me be more frugal. I just have to think about all the hard work he (and I) put into getting something and it makes me think twice whether I really need it or not.