Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Battle of Schechter Naps

Abigail has never been a very good napper at our house since my return to work. I primarily blame the fact that 1) she is just not consistently home for naps (we run around a lot on the weekends), 2) we've coddled her to sleep this whole time, just for some peace, and 3) she's excited to see us. I decided that since I'm going to have her home on Fridays, this whole nap time drama has got to stop.

I was 100% committed yesterday to MAKING her nap in her crib . . . not the car seat, our bed, in my arms, etc. She was TIRED at 2:00 pm yesterday and so I did our nap time routine (reading a book and rocking a while) then when she was very drowsy, I laid her in bed. No go. She was up in a flash but not necessarily fussing, so I just let her be. When she did begin to fuss, I went in, laid her down, kissed her and left. I never let her go more than 15 minutes without checking on her and folks. . . it took me TWO HOURS and FORTY MINUTES to get her to take a nap but I WON! I was so frustrated that whole time that it felt like my blood was boiling but I stuck to my guns. I know that she can and will go down easily for a nap by herself, just not with mommy (and sometimes daddy too).

She slept well last night and slept in this morning (until 8:30! yeah!). We did the same routine this morning and it took her 45 minutes to fall asleep. For this afternoon's nap, it took her a little under 30 minutes. We're making progress.

The great thing about this is I got almost our whole upstairs cleaned (I mean dusted, vacuumed, all clothes put away, organized, etc) while putting her down for a nap yesterday and today. It's like our bedroom is a spa! :)

Ok, since she's asleep (for how long, no one knows), I'd better get to work on our budget stuff. Oops, I didn't do that yesterday.

No comments: