Friday, October 10, 2008

Long Over-Due Book Review

I have been meaning to write this book review for a while. Andrew read the book after me, so I didn't want to sway his opinion any by my review, so I waited to write. Also, the last post was my 600 blog post. That is unbelievable! Anyway, here's the review:

Revolution in World Missions: by K.P. Yohannan

First of all, I would like to thank one of our wonderful SC (Sterling College) friends, Dorinda for suggesting this book to me. To be honest, my first attraction to it was that it was free from the Gospel for Asia ministry. I figured it would be a great thing for my book shelf. Well, I got the book and decided to read it and have forever been changed.

I am not sure if this book will touch others the way that it touched me. Perhaps it was that it opened my eyes to world missions and the fact that if we just give up a little bit we can make a huge difference. The book chronicles the life and spiritual journey of K.P Yohannan who founded the ministry of Gospel for Asia. I had heard of this ministry before but had never really looked into it much or really found out what it was about. I am so glad that I read this book!

The two primary ways that this book touched me was through a conviction of our excessive materialism in the United States, and the need for the church to get back to urgent and basic evangelism.

I have been convicted of materialistic tendencies before but never have I seen it presented in such a way that also points out the materialism of the churches in the United States. I'm simply not sure I can say it as good as he did, so I'm going to add some quotes.

"There is such an emphasis on church buildings in the United States that we sometimes forget that the Church is the people - not the place where the people meet."

"In the years I have lived and worked in the United States, I have watched believers and whole congregations get caught up in all kinds of similar crusades and causes that, while not necessarily bad in themselves, end up taking our eyes off obedience to Christ. And in this sense, they become the anti-Christ."

This is a must read that makes so much sense!! "The typical media (and some main-stream high-profile American churches and pastors! - I added this!) testimony goes something like this: "I was sick and broke, a total failure. Then I met Jesus. Now everything is fine; my business is booming, and I am a great success. It sounds wonderful. Be a Christian and get that bigger house and a boat and vacation in the Holy Land. But if that were really God's way, it would put some believers living in anti-Christian and in the Two-Thirds World in a pretty bad light. Their testimonies often go something like this: 'I was happy. I had everything - prestige, recognition, a good job, a happy wife and children. Then I gave my life to Jesus Christ. Now I am in Siberia, having lost my family, wealth, reputation, job and health. Here I live, lonely, deserted by friends. I cannot see the face of my wife and children. My crime is that I love Jesus."

As far as revolution and evangelism goes, here is what he says:

"If we could spend only one minute in the flames and torment of hell, we would see how unloving the so-called "gospel" is that prevails in much of missions today."

He goes on to warn of the sole focus on serving people's physical needs. There is nothing wrong with doing that but we first and foremost must be concerned with the salvation of people's souls, because those are eternal and our bodies are not.

My mom has warned me against the use of yoga for years. I have never done it but in my mind, I truly wondered if this was something to really be concerned about. It is addressed in chapter 15 of this book. Here is a little about what he says,

"There in beautiful color (on TV) was an attractive woman seated in the lotus position teaching yoga. I watched in horror and amazement as she praised the health benefits of the breathing techniques and other exercises of this Eastern religious practice. What her viewers did not know is that yoga is designed for one purpose only - to open up the mind and body to the false gods of the East. (skipping ahead) Those of us born and raised in nations dominated by the powers of darkness know that hundreds of Eastern religions are marketing themselves in the United States and Canada under innocuous - even scientific-sounding - brand names."

Anyway, I could go on and on but this is a book that you must read if you want to be challenged spiritually to do what you can (and he doesn't really ask much) to help native missionaries to reach souls for Christ. I cannot begin to describe on this blog how much this book has helped me to have more of an eternal focus in my life and less of a worldly one. Of course, I have a million miles to go in that direction but this is totally challenging and eye-opening to the suffering going on that we don't realize.

Please, please read this book. It's free on the Gospel for Asia website or through Dorinda's blog. I will send you (or loan you) my copy if you want. Also, when you're done with the book, honestly ask yourself if there is anything more that you could be doing to help support this ministry and the work they are doing around the world, even in these difficult economic times.

Good night all!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

yes, i would like to read this book...

sounds so moving!

personally, i get real discouraged with churches getting so caught up in materialistic ways...selling things inside churches, wanting bigger and bigger buildings...using faith just to get financial gain...

idk about it all, but i really would like to read this, because it is where I am at lately. God is also dealing with me to simplify my life, and to give to those in need...