Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Blah!

The baby does have yet another cold, even after all my efforts to not spread the germs. Thankfully, she's still pretty happy-go-lucky and only woke up twice last night. She was still able to nurse and went right back to sleep. No fever, so I am thankful.

I'm beginning to wonder if the pumping and drinking breastmilk from a bottle has something to do with her catching these colds. What I mean by that is breastmilk changes every day to meet the needs of the baby. However, she is getting the milk about 1/2 a week later since I pump for work. She gets the milk that I pump on Fridays on Monday and Tuesday. Perhaps that's why the antibiodies don't take effect right away, etc. Just a thought. I realize that she's still a pretty healthy child.

I have several book reviews that I want to do but I've just been lazy about it. It hasn't helped that I've been going to bed EARLY (like 8:45 pm last night . . . early) in order to combat the amount that I've been getting up at night and my own cold. It worked well last night, however. I got about 9 hours of sleep even after getting up twice! :)

I read a great article in the dentists office yesterday (my second round of fillings . . . again . . . blah) about easy ways to help yourself avoid getting colds. They are easy, seriously, so I need to give them my best effort.

1). Wash your hands. I do wash my hands but not as often or as completely as I should. Jordan Rubin (the Maker's diet guy) says that you should even scrub under your nails at each hand washing. A lot of diseases are eliminated today because we have better hygiene than we did years ago. So, I'm going to do my best to wash for 20 seconds in HOT water and soap more often than I am doing. One of my MAJOR pet peeves is when my husband shoves his fingers into the baby's mouth to check for teeth without washing them first, especially after just getting of the bus or coming from a public place. ARGH! (First of all, I don't want her to be sick or hurting, and second of all, if she does get sick, it's ME who gets up with her and ME who has to miss work! Ok, my rant is over).

2). Cleanse your sinuses. I do this occasionally but I want to do it every day. I have terrible sinus allergies anyway, so maybe this will help. I use a product called SinuCleanse (with a Neti pot). So far so good, I cleansed this morning and the ole' sinuses feel pretty good!

3). Exercise. I will admit that this is something I rarely do. I need to do it for my health! I love taking walks so I just need to make it a priority.

In other weird news, the scale in my bathroom is malfunctioning. Just kidding. For the first time in my adult life, I have lost weight without ANY effort what-so-ever. (I don't count after childbirth because I was so swollen with water weight, so I just had to pee to lose weight). I'm 3 pounds lighter than my pre-pregnancy weight. Weird. Perhaps if I throw in a bit of exercise for my health, we might really get somewhere!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Great blog! And great reminder with cold and flu season approaching us.

I am constantly reminding us all to wash wash wash our hands...that is SUCH the #1 thing. My husband works in a hospital, and he knows the dangers of NOT.

Also, God has been convicting me of more regular exercise. I'm excited that where we are moving to on Nov 1st, has a workout room. Also, there is a gym/fitness center across the street and hospital employees get a great discount.

The children do PE type exercise here, but looking forward to the fitness center because there are lots of scheduled activities. Then they can meet other children their age too.

The main thing is I've got to stay consistent...help me Lord! ;) Like getting to be earlier, and getting up earlier to do my workout tapes.

Arielle said...

3 LBS! That is great!!! A big leap in the right direction. I know exercising is difficult to fit in, but it will make you feel so much better!

You are such an inspiration on many things!!!