Friday, September 05, 2008

A Book Review: I Don't Know How She Does It

I just finished reading this book. It is a book about and for (I suppose) working moms. In the first few chapters, I could feel a definite connection to the character in the book. Kate Reddy is a working mom who trys to appear to her world that she has it all together. The opening chapter starts out the book with lots of laughs when she is up at 2 am distressing pies in order for them to appear homemade for her daughters school the next day!

As the book continued to go along, I felt more and more out-of-touch with the character. She was a work-a-holic who was hardly ever home to tuck her children in at night (saying over and over again things like "who gets done with work by 8:30 pm?"). She was scared of her children and would do almost anything to get away from them. Her job took her on long business trips and while I identified with her hurried manner of trying to organize and hold things together, I did not identify with the get-ahead-at-work mentality.

This book is written in a way that will leave you laughing or at least chuckling to yourself, however the author points out some poinient points about working moms. For example, if a woman left a business meeting to go to her kids soccer game (for example) she would be labeled as not being dedicated enough to her job. If a man did the same thing, he would be labeled as a caring and concerned father. The main point here is that women are primarily looked towards to be the children's caretakers, so if men show interest in their children then they are praised as "involved" and "a good dad". Very interesting stuff really. I'm not sure I'm explaining it properly. You'll have to read the book.

I'm reading another interesting and challenging book that I will write my thoughts about soon.

**Update: Andrew and Abigail are both on the mend. They both are just slightly snotty (ha ha) but both seem to be quite happy and comfortable. You may be asking why I haven't come down with something. After all, I'm the one to drops off and picks up Abigail from the sitter's house (and nurses her there). I have no idea. Perhaps it is the fact that I have been VERY dedicated to getting as much sleep as possible or that I have been taking Vitamin C, Garlic, and my Pre-natal vitamins like a mad woman! Perhaps it is the fact that, on average, I consume more vegetables than Andrew. I have enjoyed lots of sliced tomatoes with mozzarella lately. I have no idea. I'm just thankful!!**

No comments: