Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sleeping is like Natural Childbirth

Putting Abigail to sleep these days feels a lot like natural drug-free childbirth. Believe me - -I've experienced both and they are very similar in nature.





Just like childbirth, there comes a point each night that I feel like we just can't go on like this anymore with the screaming and fussing and it is at that point she goes to sleep, or in the case of childbirth - the baby comes out!





As I sat crouched by her crib so she wouldn't see me (it makes her scream louder and cry harder if she sees me leave the room), with my rear-end sticking up in the air, I was so glad that no one could see me in that moment. Ah the things we parents do for sleep!





I said to Andrew, "Why can't my baby just be like other babies I have seen and just fall asleep where they are at, instead of all this fussing, whining and fighting sleep. What is the trick?" It was at that point that I laid her on her back and put a pacifier in her mouth and she fell asleep. I have a feeling this won't be the only time the child will make me eat my words!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm! Your nighttime hassle sounds strangely familiar. (Smile)

Love, Mom

Unknown said...

I guess that means when she grows up she'll be a good sleeper like me! :)