Monday, August 11, 2008

Adjusting and Book Reviews

Abigail is still adjusting to this time zone. She goes down easily around her regular bedtime but then spends anywhere from one to four hours awake in the late evening hours before settling in for the night. It has been rough, mainly because when she does wake up she is NOT happy. I have seriously never heard her scream or cry like this before. I'm pretty sure she is just mad because she is fine when we are in the room with her but if we try to leave, oh boy, watch out! It is also tough because Andrew and I don't agree on how it should be handled. So, we're just muddling through and hoping she adjusts to her usual good-natured self again soon. She has been a little extra cranky at other times too. I'm almost 100% sure it is because she's still not getting enough sleep at night.

I am still working on my Hawaii review post. It's almost written but I also want to add pictures. We'll see what I can accomplish tonight. Andrew has a meeting for his 3rd job so I'll be alone on baby duty (which also means I get to do it MY way! :) ha) so I may not get much done.

-----------------------------------------

Before and while in Hawaii, I read the Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls (thanks to Jen for the recommendation!). This book is absolutely fascinating. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. It is a memoir of Jeanette's childhood. Her family primarily grew up as drifters, homeless, or in very sub-standard living conditions. The family dynamics and stories she tells are gripping! I couldn't put this book down.

I also read Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin. This book had the unfortunate place of following The Glass Castle and that is perhaps why I didn't like it as much as I would have normally. This is a very typical light-weight girly novel that tends to be on the trashy side. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this book unless you are in need of something extremely easy reading with little or no thought-provoking material.

I am currently reading The Shack by William P Young. Andrew just finished this and has raved about it. I have been keeping an ear out for some of the controversy and other book reviews surrounding this book, so when I'm finished I'll be sure to share my thoughts.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I am reading a book called "Stolen Innocence" by Elissa Wall. It's about the Fundamentalist Later Day Saints church. They practice polygamy and marry their girls off at ridiculously young ages (this girl was 14!). Women have no say in their lives and are considered "property" of their men. I have cried so many times. It's a tough book to read because of the issues but wonderful in the emotions it brings out! I can't put it down.

Unknown said...

Hey! Thanks for the recommendation. That sounds like something I would enjoy (well not really enjoy, but you know what I mean) reading.

annaO said...

You'll have to let me know what you think of the shack. a few of my friends have read it, but i haven't gotten around to it yet.