Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Not Gifted

There are two things in life that I am not gifted at! Actually, I'm sure there are millions of things but these two are very prominent in my life - Decorating and Gardening/Landscaping.

I can only see something I like and imitate it. I can't create. So, if you're driving past our house and you see our yard, virtually bare except for some freshly planted trees and two bushes that were gifts, it's because I have no earthly clue what to do . . . oh, and my husband really doesn't have a lot of time to weed eat. My third excuse is money. We could spend our money on landscaping but I'd rather do other stuff with it, like pay off debt!

With regards to decorating my home, I am very fortunate to have made some very special and extremely talented friends in Sterling, who offered us their awesome advice when it came to paint color and other such household items. I really love the Lightners (one is now a Haspels!). Seriously, you guys rock! My house looks pretty good for someone who doesn't know what they are doing simply because I liked their advice and ran with it! :) I lack the talent to take it anywhere from here. Part of my dilemma is again 1) money (like I said, it's all going elsewhere right now) and my second dilemma when it comes to decorating is that I truly do have an . . . ahem. . . opinionated husband. Therefore, not only do I have to figure out what I like but I have to explain it all in a way that he will understand and approve. That's probably why we haven't done anything since moving in!

I have a few things in the planning stages. I know I like black furniture. . . and I have black paint (so it's cheap), so I may turn a few other things in our house black, when I have time. Otherwise, I may periodically ask for help from my cool friends. Whether I just know you from the Internet or in real life, I'd love your help and opinion on these things. Of course, you must keep in mind that I am generally cheap and don't want to spend much on these things, which I'm sure makes it more challenging.

I'm admitting these things to you all, my friends, with humility. I have always had the preconceived notion that cool women know how to decorate and landscape. So, in my mind, admitting this (finally) makes me not cool. I'm okay with that.

I certainly hope this post makes sense. I'm not sure it has much of a purpose. I'm beginning to think that I'm still typing simply to avoid folding and putting away the heaps of laundry in our bedroom. At least the clothes are clean. . . .

Good night ya'll!

9 comments:

Amy Doane said...

My favorite thing to do when I want cheap and easy design ideas is to visit Ikea. It's just fun to walk around and look at the showrooms, but I lalmost never leave without purchasing bunch of 10 wooden hangers for $1. They're my weakness.

Jennifer said...

I know all about cheap. Have you SEEN the floral (did I mention it's floral?) couch we have? Yeah, it was free and it's a sleeper so we don't care :) I did just order a slip cover for it. (www.smartbargains.com has some really good deals on household stuff!)
I guess I'm not cool either b/c I'm terrible at those things too! I know what colors I like and the style I like and what kinds of flowers I like, but I have no idea how to do it on my own! That's why the 2 flower beds in the front are currently full of weeds and the only thing surviving out there is phlox (you have to do absolutely NOTHING to them!) I have to admit that my rose bushes out back are doing fairly well, but again, I really didn't do anything but water and occasionally feed them!
Amazon.com, smartbargains.com, those kinds of websites (even ebay and craiglist) are good places to look for cheaper stuff.

Kayla said...

We just moved into a teeny apartment so I've been getting a lot of books from the library on "decorating small spaces." If you use the library you can look for decorating books on whatever niche or style you're going with--the supply is ENDLESS. I got another one that's called "750 great ideas for decorating on a budget." The books are really fun to look through and have a lot of practical tips. IMO they're better than HGTV because you don't have to watch the commercials.

Laura said...

I am "not cool" right along with you. I try to decorate rooms according to a color or pattern, but I always seem to find something I like that is a different color and I get it anyway because I like it. One thing I have found is that a large plant (real or fake) looks good with everything and can cover up a big blank spot and look really good. Otherwise, my house is a bunch of mismatched furniture and decorations. Oh well, I guess that's me!

Unknown said...

We love IKEA too. I have to stay away from there most of the time because I ALWAYS spend something. Ooh, that's giving me the itch to go this weekend. Yikes! Maybe I'll just get some frames!

Jenn, that's funny you say that. I have always thought you were a fabulous decorator!

Kayla, maybe I should actually look at a book! That might help!

Laura, I have "heard" mismatched is in right now! Not that I am an expert or anything! :)

Anonymous said...

You get your lack of decorating ability from me. Please--no black walls!

Love, Mom

Unknown said...

No Mom, I won't paint any walls black. I was thinking the kitchen table would look good black, however.

Arielle said...

The table WOULD look good black! :0)

I love to decorate, but have a budget like yours. I look at Traditional Home magazine and just dream. I like Martha Stewart as well, again I just dream. Even buying my own fabric and sewing curtains is pricey!

All that said, you can decorate on a budget! Really. It just takes longer. I suppose that is good because I found that my tastes changed in the 15 years we have been married!!! Yours may as well.

Also, have you thought of getting a free landscape plan and then buying stuff a little a year? Maybe even spending a year or two just preparing the yard for what will go where and digging out the grass (weeds?!) from those spots? Natorps has a big sale every fall. The dates are the second week of Sept this year.

Unknown said...

Where do I get a free landscaping plan? That would definitely be cool! I have several sporadic ideas for landscaping but I can hardly describe them, let alone know how to take care of the plants. I told Andrew, my goal for next spring/summer is to get TWO matching hanging baskets and KEEP THEM ALIVE!