Thursday, August 21, 2008

Love the comments and Encouragement!

I'm loving all the comments! Thanks guys. Seriously, it is so helpful for me to read the comments and to hear what has worked for people and what hasn't. I guess I am one of those new moms who actually likes advice! :)


I have had suspicions that she could be waking up to eat because she's not getting enough at her evening feedings but she eats/drinks breastmilk from a bottle all day (while I'm at work), so I think she's getting enough in general. I'm working with her caregivers to be consistent with her getting mostly breastmilk with only a little food right now. We're trying pureed chicken and so far, she's not a fan! I just said no to her getting banana if chicken doesn't go well (she's at the babysitters). She doesn't need to eat the chicken or banana to get what she needs as she could go months more on just the milk.


My milk supply is already better today. I think I can really increase it this weekend, so we'll see if that helps. I just bought (another) hand pump since my old one got put into the dishwasher (ahem!) and doesn't work anymore. That will help to work on pumping in the evenings. It isn't as effective as the pump-in-style but it will still help. I've already pumped about 8 ounces today and she only ate six, so that is GOOD!


Laura, I loved your comment about putting Brennan to sleep. Maybe I should wait 10 years before having another baby and then Abigail can take over some of the responsibility! :) I'm kidding! :)

I do try to eat healthy, although I could always do better. I definitely need to eat more raw foods. I try to eat whole foods. I don't drink any soda pop (except Zevia and the occasional Natural one) and do my best to stay away from trans fats and HFCS. I have had some caffiene lately, so maybe that is the problem. I'll really watch that over the next week and hopefully that will also help. Since we have been doing great with breastfeeding exclusively (and pumping) for six months, I'll stick with that. I would rather get up once a night (sometimes twice) than introduce formula at this point.

At one point, we suspected she might have a food allergy because of a terrible rash she had. Maybe we should look into that if she doesn't start sleeping through the night soon.

You know, I suppose I will look back on this in a year (or a few months) and wonder what the big deal was!



--------------------------------


I got the greatest gift from my mom yesterday. Some of you who know me well know that my "love language" is encouraging words. Nothing else means as much to me as hearing those words. Anyway, while talking to my mom yesterday about our sleep options she said, "I just want you to know that I think you're a great mom, so whatever you decide to do will be what is best for Abigail." I'm tearing up thinking about it right now. I will hold that one sentence in my heart forever! Thanks Mom, for always being my greatest encourager and the best example a new mom could ask for!! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to echo your mom's words, Jaime. We get to see your mothering in day-to-day action and you are a great mother. It is wonderful to see you making hard choices to take care of Abigail in the best way that you know.

Unknown said...

Wow! Thanks! It is nice to know that people think that about me even if it doesn't feel that way!

Unknown said...

I reread my comment and must clarify! :)

I meant, even if I don't feel that way about myself! :)