Thursday, November 20, 2008

Winter's Curse for Babies

I have a dilemma that I need advice on. Ok, here's the problem.

Problem: It's cold outside. Yes, VERY cold.
Solution: Abigail needs to wear a snow suit to protect herself from the cold.

Problem. Abigail HATES her snowsuit. In fact, she really hates to be bundled up by anything very long, even blankets at night.
Solution: ???

So, what do I do? I know that this problem will probably fall under one of those things where we do what is best for our kids, even if they don't like it, because we're protecting them. I just want to check and see if there is an alternative.

When I say that she HATES her snowsuit, I mean she cries when I put her in it, she cries, screams, kicks, and squirms when I carry her to the car. Then she proceeds to scream, throw her body around, scream again, and cry while I buckle her into the car. This continues until she arrives at the destination. I had to pull over on the way to the babysitters yesterday because she was crying so hard. I gave her a pacifier and a book and she was better, but still. Part of it was that she was tired. I kept her awake by talking to her. I wanted her to have a good morning nap when she got there (which she did).

I wish they made a lightweight and flexible (she just wants to be able to get to things) material that protected babies from the cold and the wind. Any suggestions?

We returned her Bundleme to the car seat but really, she needs to graduate to a new carseat as she has technically out grown her pumpkin seat. Which brings of the whole issue of having to buy two new carseats (we have one already). That's a post for another day. Kids are so expensive (in America, anyway)!

So, if any of you have advice on how to keep her warm, yet (for my own selfishness) keep her from screaming her head off all the way to and from the sitters in the car, I'd love to know. Perhaps this will have to be the time that I learn to deal with her crying and screaming (I've never been able to stand to listen very long in the past).

In the grand scheme of things, I suppose this isn't a very bad dilemma to have!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jaime,
She will survive!!! I would just buy her a fleece winter jacket with a hood. Your car can be warmed up before you leave so that it is not brutally cold and if you are only transfering her b/w your house and car and the car and the babysitters I don't think she's going to get so cold that it will hurt her. Just keep a blanket in the car to cover her as you transport her in and out of the car maybe.
You should see what my daycare kids show up in sometimes on a cold winter morning here in Colorado!
I remember trying to bundle Spencer up in a snowsuit when he was tiny. Too much trouble and than he would never fit into the carseat with all that extra padding. I learned with hime that snowsuits are a waste of money unless you live in the arctic maybe. At least until they are old enough to go out and play in the snow.
Maybe put an extra hat on under her hood to keep her ears and head warm. That's really the most important thing. It's not like you are going to be taking her out and lying her in the snow.
Hope that helps!
Aunt Cindy

Jennifer said...

I agree with Aunt Cindy:) She doesn't need a snowsuit just to go btw the car and house. A nice, comfy coat, a hat and hood, throw a blanket over her outside and she'll be plenty warm. I hate strapping my kids in when they're wearing their winter coats (or a big poofy dress!). But at least our car seat straps are easily adjusted.
We had to move Jacob out of his baby car seat when he was about 6 months old! He was so big. We call his new seat his throne. It looks incredibly comfy and it can be rear- or forward-facing and reclines to 3 positions. It was almost $200, but it was worth it for him to be in a safer seat and comfortable (not to mention travel a lot easier on those trip to Iowa!). I can't remember what brand it is..

Unknown said...

I bought a seat called, Alpha Omega (I think). Our babysitter recommended it and it can be rear facing, forward facing, and a booster seat. That sold me!

Great advice, guys. I think I will just go get a warm jacket tomorrow and not worry about a snow suit. She has one but it's just too big for her. It will be perfect for playing (walking hopefully) in those February snows! :)

Unknown said...

We haven't used that seat yet, by the way. I just own it. I'm thinking she might need to make the transition this weekend. I'm just putting it off because I need to buy one (another $150 - blah!) for the grandparents to use as well, since Susan brings her over to me on Monday and Thursday.

Anonymous said...

Has Abigail told you that she is cold?

If she is related to me, a light jacket wil do her fine.

Love,
Andrew

Unknown said...

Ah, thanks for commenting on my blog, dear.

Yes, she told me yesterday, "Mother - dearest, I'm quite chilly in this light outer-wear. Please bundle me up."

Anonymous said...

Jaime,
Maybe we can just keep using the old seat for awhile. Two trips a week isn't that much. That would also give you a chance to see if you like the features of this seat before you get another one.

Unknown said...

Yes, that's what we'll do. I messed around with the new one this morning and I feel like I'm in love already!