Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Discipline

Discipline is an activity, exercise, or a regimen that develops or improves a skill; training.

Discipline seems to be a theme that is recurring in my life lately. Hmm, could it be that God is trying to teach me something? I have heard this theme over and over again for about a month. I am not talking about disciplining my child (although I'm starting to ponder all the ins and outs of how to handle this as she grows) but I'm talking about my own discipline; yikes!

The subject first came up in our young marrieds group with regards to money. We talked about how it is all well and good to know about a subject, to understand it and to comprehend its meaning but unless you actually do it, practice it, day-in and day-out, the knowledge is generally worthless. We have been on the Dave Ramsey plan since May. . . sort-of. We didn't empty our savings accounts and put it all on debt and we still over-spent in areas. I also struggled with working with the budget and keeping my bank account balanced each month. I can see clearly now that the issue here is discipline. I feel like we're back on track but I don't want to get off track again!

Also, in our sermon yesterday, the issue of discipline came up. I struggled to think of an area in my life where I consistently (isn't that the point?) practice discipline.

Again, this morning when I was listening to my book on tape, the subject came up about discipline. The writer spoke again of having knowledge of a subject, understanding a subject, but both of those are rather pointless without the practicing of a subject.

Galatians 5:22 says "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control."

This morning we will go to the polls and vote. I am continually challenged by the fact that we must take responsibility for our own issues. I don't believe it is the government's responsibility to save us from ourselves. For the most part, financial responsibility and self-control will "fix" the economy, not being bailed out by corrupt politicians who do not listen to the very people that they work for. This is not a political blog, nor do I want it to become one. I'm talking about everyone, myself included...and all politicians, no matter what party. Our freedom to make our own choices is what shaped this great nation in the first place!

I believe that a self-controlled person is one who God is able to use more effectively. I have a long ways to go, but step #1 is to be consistent in reading God's word every day. I need to choose a time when I am less likely to be interrupted. I have been trying to do it in the morning but I never know when Abigail will wake up or when I will accidentally hit my snooze 10 times (like this morning). I have a huge list of other things that need disciplining in my life but I won't bore you with the details. Today I'm so thankful that I'm still being changed.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

AMEN! you'd really enjoy the respectable sins book (well, enjoy is kind of the wrong word, but it will be good!). thanks for again being honest with us!

Unknown said...

I'm going to read it as soon as I finish with a few others on my book shelf!