Thursday, July 03, 2008

Travel Advice Needed

Thanks for all the book advice! I think a trip to the Library is in order . . . even though that means paying my $13 fine! :) I only got that fine because I had a DVD checked out when I went into labor. Needless to say I didn't get it back to the Library (and then my mother-in-law took it back for me) until the week after Abigail was born.

Ok, I am starting to think ahead to our trip to Hawaii. Does anyone have baby travel advice? We have flown with her before and she did great. This, of course, is not going to be a one hour flight like last time. It will be more like 7 hours, and she is bigger. Anyway, I am really looking for any tips on flying with an infant (yes we know about the sucking during take off and landing) and how to successfully change time zones with your baby. I would like to enjoy Hawaii during the day and not have Abigail's clock mixed up the whole time we're there, if possible.

Originally, we weren't going to bring her car seat and stroller into the airport (but check it as baggage) but I think we've changed our minds and will check it at the gate. It will be a little more hassle to get through security but once we have our long layover at LAX it will give her a comfortable and familiar place to nap, also giving our arms and backs a break from carrying her around. I was also planning on just putting in our luggage a little baby travel bed but that will no longer work. She moves around a lot at night and could easily knock the side of this bed down and just roll out onto the floor. So we'll have to rent a travel bed but that's ok.

Any advice is welcome! I want to have as enjoyable a trip as possible!

**I want to say thanks to my wonderful in-laws who came over and mowed our WHOLE yard last night (2 acres and it took 2 mowers). It is so nice that we have all weekend to just do whatever and we don't have to worry about mowing!!**

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jaime! I have heard more than once that if you travel with your baby in a sling, you don't have to remove the sling and the baby when going through security, just make sure the sling doesn't have metal rings! And just incase of any accidents on the plane pack some zip lock bags and pack extra clothes and diapers just incase your luggage gets lost once you get there! Have fun and take lots of good pics!

Jennifer said...

A sling might be a good option for airplane traveling, since you do have to take her out of it and put it through the scanner thing. Obviously you'll still have to take the carseat for traveling when you get there. But it is also nice to have the storage and "freedom" of the stroller. When we flew, they allowed us to take bottles on the plane with water in them (at the time, I was nursing and bottle feeding, so I just took bottles to feed him on the plane) and the little travel packets of formula. You might also want to carry on an extra set of clothes for yourself in case there's an accident. Anna threw up all over me on our flight back and I had no extra clothes for me. So I had to sit soaked in vomit for half the flight home (and then pay a ridiculous amount of money for a pair of pajama pants and a t-shirt, not to mention run all over the stupid Atlanta airport to find them!)--not fun! You just never know when a little one is going to get sick or have a blowout!
That's all I can think of...good luck and have fun! I'm jealous you get to go to Hawaii!!!