Monday, June 06, 2005

Computer Games vs Movies

I was thinking today as my husband spent most of the afternoon playing a video game and I went to see a movie, which of us was more productive. In society's eyes, I think, that my husband would be scorned. It is because playing computer games requires you to stay indoors and movie watching requires going out? I'm not sure. But as I thought long and hard about it, I think he may have been more productive.

Here is my reasoning: 1) Video games require some movement (at least your hand is moving) and you are using some hand/eye coordination. In a movie or watching TV you just simply sit there. The only time you would possibly move is if you are watching a funny movie and you laugh. 2) Video games (at least the one played today) require some interaction. My husband was playing a network game with one of his cousins so they sat next to eat other and talked about it all day. That is better than what I did at the movie. I conversed with no one . . . I just sat there and watched. 3) Video games (after the initial cost, and probably will cost less in the long run than a year of movies) don't cost anything. Now, my movie was paid for today by my very very generous in-laws (yes, I know they are reading this so I thought I would score a few brownie points!! :) ) so it didn't cost me anything but normally it would!

Now, really I have no idea why I am writing this. I would rather see a movie anyday rather than play a video game. I am also slighly annoyed when the video games keep my husband up to all hours of the night and keep him on our computer for hours when I want to get on for something. So, don't ask my why I am defending them. I don't know!! It is just a thought I had today. Why is it acceptable for thirty-year-olds to come home in the evening and plop down in front of the TV for their favorite show or at a movie but they would be looked upon as "nerds," "losers" or "geeks" when they said they played a computer game for hours. If anyone has the answer, please let me know!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally think it is much more productive seeing a movie because most of the time they make you think about your own life, and how we relate to characters, and how sometimes they can help you try and be a better person. Plus, there's always the chance for conversation with the people you saw it with after the movie(about the movie)!

Anonymous said...

Not to discredit Jennie's wonderful comment, but I would love to hear the life discussions and deep conversations about movies such as The Longest Yard or some other such movie. Not to say that their aren't meaningful movies out there.

I can also think of a ton of occassions where my friends and I have chatted for a long time about a particular game that we may have played.

Anonymous said...

I personally think video games are stupid and pointless and I don't really understand why people play them. I would rather watch a movie anyday!!! In fact, who wants to go see Cinderella Man . . .