Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar Ponderings

I watched bits and pieces of the Oscars last night. I usually love them and would never miss watching. However, this year we've been considerably lighter on the movie going. Having a baby and having less money to spend on "wants" has definitely played the major part in this. We spent most of the evening sitting together in the living room and reading together (separate books) and it was very enjoyable.

At one point during the evening, as I was watching something during the show, several points from the morning sermon popped into my mind. This is a good thing, right? Anyway, it was about how we can't be standing on God's promises and letting Christ have 100% of our lives if we're toeing the line and dabbling in the world's things. I am not (NOT!!) saying that watching movies or the Oscars makes you "of the world". I'm just saying that it's good to pay attention to where your focus is. Your heart is where your mind and your money are, I truly believe.

I was thinking how sad it was that lots of money, time, and effort gets spent every year to recognize people for their acting . . . pretending to be someone else. Again, I'm not saying that people should not be recognized for their work or that I don't enjoy watching that as much as the next person. I'm just saying that there are lots of hardworking "saints" out there that ALSO need and deserve recognition.

This is something that probably isn't going to change. We're not going to have a big elaborate awards ceremony for the single moms, preachers, EMTs, missionaries, and other everyday Joes who are constantly giving of themselves. So, I was inspired just to make sure to say "Thank You" more often to the people who serve me everyday. I can only do what I can do. Right? Thoughts?

No comments: