Tuesday, February 03, 2009

My Car

This morning I was wondering if I would have anything to blog about. Note to self: Don't wonder that or life will give you something to blog about. Really this story is about my forgetfulness, or mommy-brain, as it is commonly called.

It all started yesterday as I was arriving at my house for the evening. I pulled up next to our lovely mailbox and retrieved the mail. In the process of doing so, I rolled down my window to actually get the mail from the warmth of my car. My attempts to roll up the window were unsuccessful.

This is nothing new. Our car was hit by a deer (it slammed into the side of our car) in November of 2004. It has never been the same since. We have had difficulty with the windows since then, so I wasn't terribly surprised when it wouldn't roll up. I made a mental note to tell Andrew about it as soon as I got into the house, because he has fixed it many times, and I promptly forgot to tell him!!

Fast forward to this morning. I did my usual scramble to get out the door in the morning. I was carrying my purse, some bags of frozen food for Abigail, my oatmeal, a cup of water, AND the baby out to the car. (If you know of another way to load up my car, let me know. I can't leave the child inside by herself or she'll fall off of our step into the mudroom. she cries if I put her in the cold car first and run back in for the stuff, etc, etc, etc). I got everything loaded up and went to start the car.

It sounded very loud to me and suddenly I realized that the window was still down!! It's February 3rd, and it is COLD outside. I have a 20 minute drive with the baby to the sitter's house and then a 10 minute drive after that. I called Andrew, got a few instructions that didn't work, and decided to call my father-in-law.

He helped me tape plastic to the window, like the ghetto-fabulous car that it is, and I headed off to work. Oh, I can't forget the exciting part where we started to roll down the back window a few inches to help the air pressure in the car, only to realize that it won't roll up either. So it is down about 2 inches. Lovely.

Did I mention it is supposed to snow 1 to 3 inches today. Yeah!

I love my car, I really do. I just wish the windows worked. Thankfully that is something I can live without.

I suppose our solution will have to be just rolling all the windows up once and for all and leaving them up. No more drive-throughs or mailboxes for me! I'll have to get out of my car.

That is our exciting adventure for the day.

*Abigail had a lovely birthday. We had a mailbox full of cards yesterday and she loved looking at all of them. Thank you Mom/Dad, Grandma/Grandpa, Grandma Helen, Aunt Flo, and Donna for your lovely cards. She seriously carried them around and looked at them until bedtime!*

2 comments:

Laura said...

That is hilarious! I used to have the window in my Camry taped up too! I actually had to start wedging it up by stuffing paper into the crack to keep it up! And yet the car still ran perfectly when I traded it in...who needs a car with working windows! Oh, and when I locked myself out of the car, I had an easy way to get back in. :)

Unknown said...

I was thinking that it's a good thing that I work at a church, otherwise my car might have gotten stolen today!