Friday, September 11, 2009

Sleep!

(I may be a bit biased but isn't this photo adorable?!!!)

It's not secret that my darling has trouble with sleep (Andrew). I have always thought it to be mostly mental, as in he thinks he can't fall asleep but really he's usually asleep before me. However, this week it has been worse than normal.

Last night was the second night in a row where he tossed and turned for some time before getting up. This meant that I was up until about 12:30 am (because trying to sleep next to a tossing and turn 6'4" man is difficult - let me tell you) and he was up until 2 am. These are not fun times when you get up at 5:45 am like he does.

I'm trying to find a proactive approach to the problem. I think the first step we need to try is to have him take a 4 mile walk or jog and see if he can't sleep after that. I feel so sorry for my poor babe and want to help him out if I can. As for me, no problems sleeping here. Occasionally I can't sleep as well but for some reason I can just lay there and relax!
Any other ideas?

P.S. He's highly opposed to drugs!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Is it because he can't turn his mind off or is it something else that keeps him awake? I sometimes have a really hard time falling asleep b/c I can't shut my mind off. For me (and this might just be a girl thing) sometimes getting up and making a list helps or else I "count my blessings" to God and qoute or read Scripture--either in bed or I get up. That almost always helps me fall asleep and it calms me as well.
Hope he finds something that helps! That is very frustrating to not be able to fall asleep!

Laura said...

Running really helps me, both to tire me out and to turn off my mind. It exhausts me mentally and physically. I think that's a great start!

The Schenk Family said...

Ok for some people working out before and a hot shower will put them right out. A lot of times that energy will keep my legs going and makes me have more energy then before. I have learned from reading some article for my own sleep problems is that I just do not jump into bed and just try to sleep any more he needs to calm his mind down. READ!! Seriously, it has really helped me. I get in bed and read a book I am working on or the bible. This helps my body take the time it need to relax and my body slows down and stops thinking about all the things I need to do. Thats my thought. LMK how it goes!

Unknown said...

Wow. Thanks for all the comments! I will certainly suggest them to him!

I think (I'm not sure what he thinks) that he can't turn his mind off. Or perhaps because he has a desk job his body doesn't get as tired as his mind or something like that. He got up and wrote a blog (ha) and worked last night. I'm not sure why he didn't try to fall asleep sooner.

I think I will suggest exercise and that we'll try to do it as a family. Obviously jogging is out for me at this point. I know some pregnant women jog but that sounds extremely uncomfortable to me, so perhaps I'll suggest a walk.

Unfortunately, we watch TV before going to sleep each night. We haven't had a TV in our bedroom much of our married life until recently (his sleep problems stayed the same) so maybe it's time to kick that out again!