Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Thermometer Saga

While Abigail was sick (she's back at daycare today), I decided it was time to buy one of those ear thermometers to take her temperature. I have been taking it rectally since she was born and let's just say she's starting to protest a little bit. So, I stopped off and bought one on Sunday. I took her temp and it was under normal. I took my own and it said 101! What?! I had just gotten home from church and felt fine. I went to find my adult thermometer and took it by mouth: normal. Anyway, this ear thermometer is crazy! It never gave me a very accurate reading for Abigail, Andrew's was always normal, and mine was always over 100. Maybe I just have hot ears, I don't know.

So, we're back to the old way for now. We also have a thermometer that is a pacifier but I'm just not sure how accurate that is. I'm sure that something would show up if she had a significant fever. Anyone else have trouble with those ear ones? I just wasted $20!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yeah, the ear ones are not very accurate. I used a paci-thermometer with Anna and it worked very well. Of course, I couldn't for Jacob since he refused pacifiers! So for him, I just used a baby-sized one under his arm and got good readings...that's how their doctor takes it at checkups so I figure it's gotta be a good way to go :)

Laura said...

Brennan had an ear one and I never remember anything being out of the ordinary. I used to play with it for fun sometimes and never got any wacky readings...maybe they made them better back in the old days. :)

Musings of a Housewife said...

Yeah, I think the old fashioned kind is the most accurate. :-) That's funny, though.

Anonymous said...

Didn't mom have one that she'd put on our head? That's what I remember, anyway. It seemed to be painless.

Jenny

Unknown said...

Yeah, I don't think the head one is very accurate! :) I'll stick with the paci-thermometer and go with my "regular" way if necessary!

ginabnina said...

We received one of the forehead thermometers as a Christmas gift, and it's been awesome. Everybody in our house uses it now. As far as we can tell, it's pretty accurate....