Friday, February 17, 2006

Any Who!

The other day, I was looking at commonly mispronounced words on the internet. The reason I was doing this is another story that I won't share here. Anyway, it was highly amusing. Let me share. If you wish to read the whole list you can go to www. yourdictionary.com. Here are a few that I thought were very common. Even though the word on the left may be a real word or saying the correct ones are located on the right for the purpose of this website. The ones on the right are the commonly mispronounced but correct words.

calvary/cavalry
card shark/card sharp
close/clothes
dialate/dilate
diptheria/diphtheria (pronounced with an f)
excetera/et cetera
Febyuary/February (I know I say this wrong)
foilage/foliage
For all intesive purposes/For all intents and purposes
heighth/height (not the same at width)
'erb/herb
irregardless/regardless
larnyx/larynx
mannaise/mayonnaise
miniture/miniature
nucular/nuclear
ofen/often

Enjoy and happy pronouncing! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog. One of my pet peeves is when people write "loose" when they mean "lose". Another careless mistake people make is writing "it's" when they mean the possessive "its."

Love, Mom