I'm going to try to make this short because I think Abigail is awake (but shouldn't be!).
She has yet another cold. I'm so thankful that it's relatively mild and her colds don't usually turn into more serious things like infections, etc.
However, all of her most recent colds result in the nastiest constant cough! It will be the end of me (I'm exaggerating, of course).
At 1:30 am, I got up to feed the baby. At 2 am, I was still awake and heard Abigail coughing over the monitor. I got up to help her. Here are the rememdies I tried:
- Vicks on the feet. This helps some but doesn't stop the cough.
- Homeopathic cough medicine (because you can't give the real stuff). I normally wouldn't be tempted to give her drugs but the poor thing can't sleep.
- Humidifier in her room. Because of her frequent colds, I almost always have one running.
- Honey. This does help soothe her throat at first but doesn't stop the coughing after a few minutes.
- Drink in bed. I let her keep a sippy cup of water in bed. It was gone when I went down at 2 am so I got her more.
I'm not going to turn on the lights and put her in the steamy shower at night. She's too young to lean over a bowl of steam. Eucalytus oil is good but it is so strong and I'm not sure how to use it at night with her.
She was up then from 2 am (her cough was better but not gone) until 3:30 am and I heard her the entire time. She was coughing and talking. Then I got up with Elsie at 5 am and heard Abigail coughing between 5:30 am and 6:30 am.
So, if you have even the slightest suggestion for me, as to how to calm Abigail's almost contast coughing, I'm all ears! I will try about anything.
Yes, she's up and she really should be sleeping after a night like that and after a 45 minute nap yesterday yet I hear the poor thing hacking away.
Her daddy has no idea that Abigail will be his responsibility at night for the next two nights (yeah weekend!!!!!). I have got to get some sleep!