Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Blog Book Ideas

So, I love hearing about new books. I wish that I could join a book club and have a different book chosen for me but alas, Sterling is void of a book club I can join. I believe there is a book club but it is mainly older women who meet during the day. So, I decided that I would take matters into my own hands. Many of my favorite books are ones that have been recommended to me by other people. So every so often, I am going to write a post like this one. I am going to list some books that I am currently reading that I would recommend and I would like for LOTS of people to comment and post their favorites. This could be very cool. So anyway, I am currently reading the James Herriott series. It is about a country vet in Scotland and it is a true story. I am also rereading Calm my Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow (an excellent book). Hopefully I can post again soon with some new books. Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should start a book club! I think you could find enough people around that feel the same way you do and it would be a great way to interact with the city of Sterling. You should talk to the local librarian.

Also, try Bride Most Begrudging by Deeanne Gist. It's the first book I worked on at Bethany House and it's doing very well.

Anonymous said...

Occasionally I allow myself to read Christian romance. If I get involved in a good story, I don't get any work done! One of my favorite authors is Grace Livingston Hill. She wrote back in the 20's and 30's when most men had been brought up to respect women and to be the initiator in "courtship." Hill's books always contrast the shallow personalities of those living a godless lifestyle to the strong character exemplified by those who follow Christ. I'll have to admit her storylines are often unrealistic, even "hokey" at times, but so are soap operas! At least Hill's books are wholesome and uplifting.

Out of the hundreds of books she has written, my favorite so far is "The Substitute Guest." I reread it every Christmas for the cozy, old-fashioned-Christmas feeling it gives me. A recent favorite is called "Crimson Roses."
I can see it being made into (at least) a made-for-TV movie.

I probably own around thirty of Grace Livingston Hill's books, thanks my aunt Flo who gave me the collection she inherited from my great aunt Lena. Love, Mom