Thursday, September 01, 2005

Homeschool prejudice!

I can't tell you how sick and tired I am people bashing homeschoolers, especially when one is in the room. I am not sure why homeschoolers have gotten such a bad reputation. They are just the same as any other person. I know many other kids who went to a public high school who are weirdos and I know many homeschoolers who are very "normal" whatever that means.

I am sick and tired of people thinking that all homeschoolers do is wake up in the morning, put on their loose jumpers (with colored socks and sandals) with big flowery prints, go downstairs for school, read a few lessons, learn to knit, study some more and generally only socialize with each other and never see the light of day. The things that people don't get to see are the wonderful field trips you can take every where, the ability for homeschoolers to learn a job trade and how to work hard since they aren't stuck in school all day, the ability to interact with other kids at church, family, life in general, etc, and the ability to teach your kids whatever they want (and many more things, I'm sure).

When I came to college I realized with extreme disappointment the failings of my public education. I really didn't know much before coming to college, except how to read and write. I am not even going to count any arithmetic since I can't even do my times tables beyond an embarrassingly low number. Sure, I could have studied harder but I got fairly good grades in High School (Honor Roll at least) and so therefore, why should I? I learned from my husband and sister-in-law that they actually knew HOW to learn. Something that I was severely lacking. I am going to say that I do think my husband is smarter than me. Yes I will admit that. (However, as a side note I have always been a hard worker, thanks to my farm upbringing, and therefore was able to do a little better in school (so much talent, so little motivation). Actually, he was motivated in the areas that he wanted to be! :) )

Now, you may be thinking, obviously she will probably homeschool her children. To tell you the truth I haven't decided yet. We have plenty of time for that decision. The main point of this blog is that I am just very tired of people making fun of or assuming homeschool people are weird when they don't know anything about it. It is like people don't think homeschoolers can make a positive contribution to the community. Well, I STAND here on my soap box to tell you that they can and they do. Who do you think all the little old ladies and young as well come to in Sterling when their poor old computer is broken? Andrew!! Who do you think the city asked to be on the Main Street Committee here? Wasn't public schooled little me! Andrew! And who is a huge supporter of the new downtown development in this town. Andrew! He makes significant contributions in society and to family. We must be aware of ALL prejudices we have but especially against HOMESCHOOLERS!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jaime,
You have really hit the nail on the head and have defended homeschooling very well. There are certainly pro's and cons to any type of education, but you have pointed out many of the positive sides very well. You have also done a great job of identifying the character qualities of Andrew so well and he is blessed to have someone like you to be married to. Many people don't go to the trouble to learn about a person to the depth which you have obviously done! You are not only a hard worker, but also have learned to express yourself in the written word.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Hi Jaime - great to finally catch up on everything as I just read a bunch of your blogs. Now I feel like I know something! I love what you wrote tonight and I couldn't agree more - it is so annoying when people put something down that they obviously don't understand. I always get great pleasure simply saying "I love homeschooling" when someone says something against it. Ah, peoples reactions.....and Susan, is right of course, that there are pros and cons to any type of education, but again, simply putting homeschooling down without merit is ignorant. Now, about this blog spammer thing - what a pain! I am going to email Dad next and recommend that he take you up on your idea to use the word verification - those darn spammers - which reminds me of one more thing - not only do little old ladies call Andrew when they need something fixed, so do I - oh, wait - I am a little old lady -hmmmm - what we would do without him?!?!!!! After I email Dad and Mom I am going to start working on getting spam off my own email - about to drive me crazy! Talk to you later - I love your blogs!!!

Anonymous said...

Jaime,
Without your knowing, you have encouraged me tonight. I have an oldest son who just started college and a son who is a senior. Both have been home schooled and sometimes like tonight I panic wondering if they are really ready to take on college. Thanks for reminding me that home schooling addresses more than just reading and writing. For sure they are both grounded, great guys and I hope that they one day get a wife who understands and appreciates the way they have been raised.

Blessings to you and Andrew,
Jo & Stan Dyck

Anonymous said...

Jaime,
Well said!! And from someone who was not homeschooled...but loves someone who was. Andrew is one fortunate guy. God Bless you both.
Paula (Susan's friend)

Anonymous said...

I have met many wonderful homeschoolers. (and of course Andrew is wonderful) So, I agree with you. If homeschool is done the right way, it can be a great education. When I substituted at St. John, I was amazed at the amount of time the kids spent messing around. I bet a lot of homeschools are conducted more efficiently. I think you would do a great job homeschooling your kids (if you decide to do that). Love, Jenny