Sunday, September 18, 2005

Salad Sharing

Since starting this south beach diet, it has been somewhat of a challenge to find things to keep my taste buds happy. But in my quest for delicious healthy foods, I have come across a new love. Let me explain. Two Friday's ago we were eatting supper at our friend Melanie's house. We each brought something to share. Melanie made this salad and well . . . to tell you the truth I have always eaten salads but I have never LOVED a salad but . . . I found a salad to love now! I just want to share with you this fantastic salad. She had a recipe for it but didn't follow it exactly (left out some sugar, etc) and so mine is also a modification of hers but also delicious. The measurements below are just guesses to what I throw in there. I usually just make this in individual sized bowls so we don't waste any precious veggies but I will post the recipe below if you were to make it for a family gathering. Here it goes. . . in my opinion the best salad in the world!

1/2 bag of Romaine Lettuce
1/2 bag Fresh Spinach (usually Baby spinach is what I use)
1 large tomato, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2/3 cup of sunflower nuts
sprinkled with Feta Cheese (plain or flavored is fine)

Dressing
3 Tablespoons EV Olive Oil
3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
3 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar

I mix and match the vegetables but don't ever forget the Feta cheese. It gives the salad wonderful flavor with the Red Wine Vinegar. As my friend Melanie says, "Feta makes it betta." Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YUM!!! I was missing your blogs - glad to have you back and sharing a new salad recipe no less - thanks! By the way, I too love your name and oddly enough I never even think about Dawn being a man's name - isn't it funny what the brain does with your eyes versus your ears? But I agree, point well taken....naming your children is nothing to be taken lightly! I will try this recipe and tell you about it - it sounds fabulous! Love, Linda :)