Tuesday, September 13, 2005

What's in a name?

I have been thinking about names lately, of course. Names are very important. You are stuck with them generally all your life. I want to send out a plea to anyone who may be deciding on what to name a baby girl. If you have any reason to suspect that your daughter may grow up to be a "princess" and not a tom boy then please please please name her a VERY gender specific name. I remember the first time I knew that "Jaime" could be a boys name I was very devestated in my little princess heart. No way would a real princess have a boy's name. :( I could not, however, fall back on my middle name, as some do, to be a princess name, because, of course, it could also be a boys name. Dawn is the girl spelling but I wanted to be Elizabeth, Sarah, Michelle, or something of that girly nature. I have been trying to get Andrew to call me Barbie for a very long time since Barbie is the ultimate girly name to make up for the years with my boy name . . . but alas :) he just won't do it! Ok, I guess I am stuck with Jaime for the time being! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean you're thinking of names "of course?"

Also, I like Jaime. I think it is a great name. If I could change my name (and I'm very happy with Amy) I would want it to sound a little less sorority girl.

Maybe we should switch?

Unknown said...

Well, I am happy with Jaime since I am "grown up" but I didn't like it growing up. As for the names well, all girls dream about their kids' names, one day!

Anonymous said...

well, I'd nix Elizabeth :) I never liked this name, partly because it looks masculine with a Z... not pretty unless you write in Cursive... although it does lend for some adorable nicknames (Bethany)... perhaps Elisabeth... much cuter :)

Anonymous said...

I've known you so long that I've always thought of Jaime as a girl's name. I think it's a great name, but you do bring up a good point in general: be careful what you name your kids!