Friday, March 03, 2006

All in order!

One of my favorite things to do is to organize things. It was so nice to have some time each evening to work on getting a few things sorted and put away. When we moved, for the most part, I had each box labeled with a number and a book described what was in each box. My downfall is paper clutter. I will admit that I didn't have time in the two week moving period to sort and file all of the important papers that had piled up! So last night I finally got around to sorting through a box that I had just thrown together from our office in Sterling. I got to throw away about 2/3 of it. Most of it being envelopes or just things we didn't need anymore. Now my project for the weekend is to organize the important bank statement/bills/insurance info/etc that I pulled out of that box, into binders. Binders are my favorite way to organize. Filing cabinets are just too hard to manage for me, yet at times they are necessary.

I was also able to figure out our budget the last few nights. I took over handling the money when we moved here, since Andrew is so busy, and I finally got it figured out. Actually, I should give credit where credit is due. I thought I had good Microsoft Excel skills . . . until I tried to set up a budget. I started listing income, expenses, etc and got a little frustrated with it not working properly. My genious husband comes in and waves a magic wand over the Excel spreadsheet and . . . presto we have some complex funcions that work beautifully, a layout that is easy to read, shaded in the right spots, and each column separated and easy to read. We tried to calculate in costs that we aren't currently experiencing but that we will plan on experiencing when we have our own house. Anyway, now you have all gotten a glimspe inside one of my hobbies, organizing things. That doesn't mean that I am always organized, it just means that I like to be!

No comments: