Wednesday, March 15, 2006

My Personal Nurse

As my first major ordeal (having my wisdom teeth out) without my mother within 50 miles, looms on the horizon, I must take this time to reflect on how lucky I was to have her as my own personal nurse growing up.

When I needed just a bite to eat, it seemed as if, magically, she would appear with one piece of toast, topped with butter and cinnamon/sugar, cut into perfect squares. Her cool hands always felt good on my hot forehead and she always knew I was really sick if I didn't want to watch TV. She let us keep a bell by our beds, just in case we needed her. She would make us chicken noodle soup in bed and run our baths for us. There was even the time I convinced her to let me have nachos from a can (the spicy cheese kind) because I told her they would clear my sinuses!

Other things she put up with: the time I had pneumonia and I wanted about twenty pillows to use on the couch (we have a picture that is very funny), the time I passed out while having my blood drawn in the Stafford hospital, the other time I passed out while having a needle poked in me at the allergist, holding a bucket for me when I couldn't move due to anethesia, while I got sick after my gallbladder surgery (no one else was there!! only person I know who would do that for their married adult daughter!!).

My mother has not only cared for us all of these years but she brought our dog, Hunter, though a case of Parvo, by feeding him chicken noodle soup and gadorade. :)

This is not meant to be a put down to my husband or anyone else who might help me through this wisdom tooth ordeal but we all must agree . . . there is just nothing like your mother when you are sick!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, Jaime. Your blog entry gave me a warm feeling.It's nice you remember me that way, but I don't think I really did all those things. I know for sure I didn't make chicken noodle soup in bed! Just kidding. There's nothing that makes a mom feel worse than to see her children hurting. Hope you feel better soon.

Love, Mom