Thursday, July 19, 2007

Mentally Challenged Mouse?

Ok, I've been seeing evidence of a little rodent invader in our BRAND NEW HOME for a month or so now (we THINK we brought it in with a box). We've had traps set and well, we have a dog, so I thought that would take care of it. I first noticed some poop under the sink and so we set two traps. Then last night the strangest thing happened. We were playing cards with Andrew's cousins and I went to go look for a pen. I opened one of our kitchen drawers only to find one of my pampered chef rubber spatulas had been nibbled on. It definitely happened on Wednesday night as I had put utensils away in this drawer earlier that day and the spatula was still intact. There were shreds of plastic/rubber in the drawer and no poop. It was really torn apart (I wish I had a picture, but I've been short on time). After more careful examination this morning, we discovered that all of our plastic/rubber spatulas in that drawer had been nibbled on (three of them)!! It is sooooooo creepy! I can't stand rodents!!!!!! That is an understatement. I'm not sure why it is not taking our bait in the traps and also it is not eating any food in the house, just plastic/rubber. Weird! It can get in the pantry, so I'm not sure what is going on. Anyway, I'm so freaked out that I wanted to call an exterminator but my husband said no. So, it is now his job to catch and kill whatever it is that is eating my kitchen utensils!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We've only had a couple mice in the house, but everytime we set out traps w/ peanut butter, they eat the bait & escape the trap. Both mice have been caught in the glue board traps the Orkin man sets out for the spiders! The first one got caught while Anna & I were at my folks'. Aaron couldn't figure out what the rotten smell in Anna's room was (of course, he had the door shut the whole week we were gone). He was searching far & wide for dirty diapers that missed the trash! I came home and took one whiff and said "That's a dead mouse!!". The 2nd one was just a couple nights ago. I heard something banging around in the shades (we have those vertical blinds), so I made Aaron get up and look...the nasty little critter got his tail caught and was flailing around. So Aaron put it in a trash bag and took it outside and beat it to death on the sidewalk! Mice are disgusting!!