Thursday, June 22, 2006

Percs, Permits, Plots, Plans Part #2

I'm not sure I got the title exactly right but I wanted to give a house update. I feel like we are finally moving along. I heard from UBI (UBuildIt) today and they gave me a list of things to do before we are able to actually break ground. I have already started on many of them and we are waiting on other things (soil test, sewage plan, plot plan, and permits) before we can move ahead. I feel I can the the end (well, the beginning anyway) in site to starting our house. I still haven't heard back from our kitchen designer. We are up in the air with that. I will have to call and bug him. I don't think these people know what is coming when I get involved with a project! :) I like to be very nice but since I enjoy being organized and efficient, I just feel like other people should as well!

It may be expensive to live in Butler County, Ohio, as I'm sure we will soon find out, but their offices at the county have been very helpful. I have had to call the health department twice to clear up misunderstandings on my part and they have always explained things patiently, and have returned my phone calls promptly. So far (knock on wood), they have been very easy to get along with. After all this is over, I think that I will feel like starting a UBI franchise on my own! :) Ha ha, just kidding. After this is over, I don't think I will want to think about home building for a long time! I have also been getting an education in tire disposal. Who knew it would be so hard to get rid of a bunch of old tires that were left on our lot? It was going to be so expensive to get rid of but I found a landfill that will take them for $3 for unrimmed and $5 for rimmed. That is the cheapest I could find. I wish I could recycle them but I can't find anywhere that will do it. I've looked! Ah, the weird things an adult has to know. Now, why didn't I enjoy the innocence of childhood more?!

In other news: Andrew has taken an accidental six week break from classes. He didn't get registered for a class during this next six week period. He probably could have gotten into one, but I encouraged him to take a break, even though it will take him six weeks longer to finish. He has been working so hard and even though the house isn't ready to be worked on, I still think he needs a break. I am helping with VBS at our church tonight. I'm not sure what I am doing, but I guess I'll find out. They just called me up and asked me to help out on Thursday night. I think it is mainly following kids around to each station.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My apologies for the typos in this past post. Andrew noticed them (must mean he reads it) and pointed them out to me. I have been in such a hurry lately and it is reflecting in my writing ability. I'll try to proofread next time.