Thursday, June 15, 2006

Memories

Grandpa and three granddaughters (we're missing Rachel)
Jaime, Grandpa, Jenny, and Laura
Thanksgiving 2005

Many of my fond childhood memories come from visiting my Grandpa Walter in Downs, Kansas. Many of my earliest memories are of holiday's spent there, visiting Grandpa's welding shop and getting peanuts and pop, and fun times playing with my cousins.We always had a good time at Downs because Grandpa would take us around doing all of the things he enjoyed. Some of our favorite included going fishing with him in his boat on Waconda Lake, going out for coffee break, going to Rose Valley Church to Sunday School and Church. There we got to see many third cousins and other distant relatives. My cousin, Laura and I, have many fun memories of the weeks we would spend there together in the summer. One of our favorites was the time that someone dropped us off at the Downs pool . . . without our shoes!!! We decided to walk home after a while and devised a scheme to lay down a towel, walk across it, and then pick up and lay down the other towel. Grandpa eventually found us walking home in this manner!! I always looked forward to Grandpa visiting us in St. John for sports events, birthdays, and concerts. He made a huge effort to attend our events, even though he had to drive 2 1/2 hours to be there. Of all the wonderful fun and wonderful memories I have of my Grandpa, I am most grateful for his Christian example that he set for the entire family. He was always willing to help and he was known to break the law by piling too many children in his van to take them to church. Right before he died, he won an award for evangelism from the district Methodist conference, and I cannot think of a better person. These words don't really express the gratitude I feel of having known such a wonderful Christian person, who was always chipper and positive, even when having serious health problems. I certainly miss my Grandpa, but I feel so happy to think that he is in heaven, rejoicing with Jesus. I can only hope to pass along such a strong and wonderful Christian heritage to my kids someday!

No comments: