Friday, June 09, 2006

Harvest Time Blues

I'm not sure whether it is because it is harvest time or because I was just in Kansas that I am feeling pretty homesick for my home state. Many of my favorite childhood memories are centered around harvest. My siblings and I would spend hours riding the combine with Grandpa and Dad, listening to our Adventures in Odyssey tapes! I would plot how I could get my cousins to come and ride the combine with me. I'm sure I brought my dolls along to play with. We also rode on the tractor's while they were disking after a wheat field had been harvested but that would always bang your head against the glass of the back window whenever the driver changed gears. The combine had a nice comfy padded seat. I haven't spent much time in Fairchild Farms' new combine but I understand it has some pretty fancy computerized equipment now as well. I will always treasure the moments out on the combine. One of my favorite memories was when my Grandpa shared his supper with me. I'm sure he was tired and hungry after a long day out on the combine but he shared his ham sandwich (with real Mayo . . . I remember it being so good) and a peach with me! I also remember chewing on the wheat right out of the combine bin, just like it was chewing gum. I never knew how lucky I was to experience those days. It taught me a lot about hard work and devotion. It makes me sad to think that my kids will not grow up on a farm because it was a great experience for me. More to come . . .

No comments: