Friday, August 27, 2010

Hummus and Tomato Open-faced Sandwich!

Hey all! Here is a yummy recipe for you!

I just made it up this week in an attempt to find something light for my lunches. I made it on Monday (oh, and Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday). I think I'm going to turn into a tomato.

Anyway, this is a light, healthy, fast and super easy sandwich.

First you need bread. I had some organic french bread from my Farm Fresh Delivery service. Sour dough would be equally as good, I think.

Slice the bread. So slice as many pieces as you'll need. They'll be open faced. Less calories that way. I toasted mine so they were nice and warm.


You need fresh tomatoes. These are from my garden. Yum! Slice them.

You NEED hummus. Don't leave this out. It MAKES the sandwich oh. so. yummy.


Spread a teaspoon to tablespoon of hummus on each slice of bread.



Layer it with a slice of tomato. Top with a slice of cheddar cheese. The cheese is optional. If you want to save calories, leave it off. The hummus and tomato are the ingredients that make this yummy!
I put a light sprinkle of salt and pepper on the tomato.


You could experiment with just a little grated cheese, or even a different type of cheese (feta anyone). In my world, I hardly have time to grate cheese. I have a toddler clinging on one leg - asking for her lunch and I have a baby crawling around on the floor trying to get stepped on. The name of the game for me is making something fast!
I calculated that one of these gorgeous little sandwiches is about 3.5 WW points. It, of course, depends on how big your slice of cheese is (could be about 4.5 points with a larger slice) and how much hummus you put on. Eat some sliced peppers, carrots, broccoli or even more fresh tomato on the side and you'll have a really light lunch!

No comments: