Saturday, February 06, 2010

Snowy Saturday

It's a snowy Saturday in Ohio. I have no plans on going anywhere today and we're nice and cozy.

Thank goodness for electricity, plenty of yummy food, a wonderful family to play with, and plenty of movies for entertainment.

Actually, I won't be able to watch a movie for a while yet. I'm in the process of making Abigail's birthday cake (s) for her party on Sunday. The cake is made but I'm going to attempt to decorate it like Elmo. I'm also baking cupcakes with a slight variation of her cake recipe, which I thought I'd share.

I'm in no way a food blogger. Maybe someday but it seems like too much work.

Instead I'll just post the recipe on here and let you try it!

My sister-in-law found this originally so thanks to her. I've made it all year! We eat it for breakfasts, without the frosting, because it is pretty healthy!

Abigail's Applesauce Carrot Cake

2 cups grated carrots
2 cups filtered water
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups maple syrup
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons allspice
1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 cups spelt flour or unbleached flour (I use whole wheat if I don't use spelt)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 cup nuts of your choice (I usually use pecans)

Preheat oven to 350.

Grease pan with spray oil.

In a large pan, bring water to a boil. Add carrots and simmer for 7 to 10 minutes. Pour entire contents of pan into mixing bowl. Add the oil, apple sauce, eggs, syrup, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and salt. Stir the mixture well.

In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and nuts. Stir this dry mixture into the wet mixture. Don't overmix.

Pour into your pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Use a toothpick or wooden kabob stick to test cake.

Once cake is cool, turn onto a plate and frost.

I'm using a standard cream cheese frosting. We usually don't put frosting on it and eat these as muffins for breakfast.

Once you get the carrots grated and cooked, it's super easy.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I love your new blog background! How was Abigail's birthday party?

Unknown said...

It was great. I'll put up pictures when I get them on my computer. :)