Monday, November 19, 2007

Midwife Appointment

I had my 28 week (7 month) midwife appointment today. It was the first time for me at this new practice. I was glad that A got to go with me. Anyway, I was impressed with the staff and felt comfortable there. Everyone was friendly. There is not really much to report, except my appointments have now gone to every two weeks. Anyway, we just did the usual stuff in my appointment, family health history, my history, measured my belly, and listened to the baby's heartbeat. She had to stick the dopplar right into my belly button to find the heartbeat! :) I then had my Rh- injection. I didn't even really feel it.

I should have prepared some questions for the midwife, but I already felt like I was in good hands because of they deliver at the birth center, and are some of the only ones to do water births. We talked a little bit about that. I told her that I had never thought about having one before but had wanted to keep my options open, just in case, and she thought that would be a good idea. I have no idea how I will feel that day. We also talked a little bit about what happens if I have to go to the regular L&D floor. She said that she has still witnessed some wonderful natural births in the L&D floor. The nursing care is different, but they still have to follow your signed birth plan, and the practitioners are the same.

She encouraged me to stay in the Brewer diet (high protein) but also encouraged me to add in more vegetables (yes, I don't eat many). She also said to make a goal of drinking 1 gallon of water per day. I'm not getting anywhere near that, so I'll have to make more of an effort in that area.

A and I navigated a little easier around this massive hospital this time, which also puts my mind at ease for when we go there for the birth.

No comments: