Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Appointment Update

Our six month check-up yesterday brought our some interesting things. The baby is doing just fine. I measured just right for the week I'm in (24 by the way), my blood pressure was 113/60 (average for me), and we heard the strong heartbeat of our girl. We decided to ask our doctor/practice some questions to see if they would be open to us having a unmedicated birth. Well, let's just say that they are not open to that!

The question and answer period did not start off well because the doctor opened with the statement that the baby's health was the most important thing here (implying that we weren't concerned with that at all, but just wanted things our way). We assured him that the health of the baby is our #1 priority. I asked if I could drink water during labor. He said NO and that I wouldn't feel like it. I felt like asking him when the last time was that he had a baby, but I held my tongue. I was just shocked that you could be refused something so simple as water. He said that I could have ice chips and perhaps some of those would melt so I could have water. Ok then!

I went on to ask about monitoring and IV's during labor. According to him, I must be monitored at all times and have an IV (I'm agreeing to a heplock, so if I am in need of an IV, they can just hook up the tubes). So, I won't be able to move around or use a shower or bath for pain relief. I was also uncomfortable with this practice because they have six doctors and two midwives and you can get anyone of them for your labor/birth, so it's like getting a doctor you may have seen once.

Needless to say, we talked about it last night and think it is in our family's best interest to switch practices. I have been busy looking into some different options. We have received recommendations from our Bradley instructor, so we are looking into those. This is a scary move for me. I feel the need to do this soon, as we have several things coming up, such as our glucose testing and my Rh- injection.

I'm so thankful to have a very (very) supportive husband and family. My mom has even been busy looking up other options for me. I told Andrew last night how great it is to have a family that is so supportive. It would really stink for me to be telling my mom all about this and have her say "Are you crazy? You can't do that." So . . . thanks Mom and everyone else for the wonderful support in these decisions! It really does make all this doable! :)

No comments: