Thursday, April 19, 2007

Things to come

Yes, I will post recipes soon, as soon as I have time to quit making them and actually post them. My newest endeavor in the kitchen was to make my own pie crust last night, with organic, chemical free "crisco" (no, not the crisco brand that says it's 100% trans fat free, which is even more unhealthly, but this is a pressed palm oil made by spectre). I threw in some whole wheat flour for good measure. I am taking a meal tonight to someone in our church who has cancer and so that was my motivation for chicken pot pie and the healthy crust. We didn't eat until 9:00 pm last night, but (in my opinion) it was well worth it. The crust wasn't heavy or dry from the whole wheat, like I feared, but was flaky and tender. If I were to do this again, I would make the crust ahead of time and just refridgerate. It was a bit much for one night. It was hard to roll out because it was so crumbly, but I finally managed, even though my crust edges weren't that pretty! :) I'll try to post this and the salmon cakes soon.

My elliptical machine arrived last night. I have felt guilty for spending the money on it, but I'll just have to make sure I use it, in order to get my money's worth. As my mom said (in her wise counsel), maybe it will save on medical bills later in the life. Andrew will put it together for me tonight. I will hopefully take some pictures of it.

We are finally going to be able to grade our yard next week or the next. We've been waiting for the cable company to come and bury our high speed internet cable. I called them and bugged them about 10 times, so that might have helped the speedy process. I let them know that they were holding us up from finishing up our outside grading. The excavator is going to come early next week, if there is no rain. It will be nice to be able to plant some grass seed!

We are also, finally, finalizing our mortgage. I've been on pins and needles getting this worked out. One company wouldn't finance us because our upstairs isn't finished. I told them this was ridiculous, since most people have an unfinished basement too, but it was no avail. So we had to agree to a higher interest rate at the bank where we had our construction loan. It will work out in time. We'll probably refinance eventually, but I'm just glad we can get started paying this thing off (even if that will take a while). I'm mailing the final papers back today.

The rest of our time has become engulfed in a crazy obsession with Battlestar Galactica. Andrew has always watched this TV show, and I tried to watch it a few times, just to see what the fuss was about, but could never really get hooked. Well, a few weeks ago, we started out from the very beginning (I have bought Andrew all of the seasons, for different birthday's/occasions) with the miniseries. It's amazing how much more I enjoy it when I understand what is going on. Normally, I have an intense dislike for Science Fiction shows. I'm not a fan of aliens! However, this show not only has Science Fiction elements but it also includes human relationships, human emotions, politics, ethics, etc, so it makes for a very interesting show. We are close to ending season 2 and season 3 has yet to be released on DVD, so our obsession will soon end! It's been a fun thing to enjoy with Andrew and now I can watch the upcoming episodes with more interest, since I know what is going on. I can't believe I have enjoyed it so much. I guess it's just a lesson to all of us (but mainly to myself) not to dislike something like this, until you've actually given it a chance!

No comments: