Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Resolve

Allergies in Pregnancy
by Marjorie Greenfield, M.D.

Women who suffer from nasal symptoms (allergic rhinitis) may find that they get better, stay the same, or feel even worse in pregnancy--each individual's response is different. Symptoms are not life-threatening but can interfere with a good night's sleep and leave you feeling miserable. If you know what you're allergic to and are pregnant, try to avoid that thing (or things) rather than taking lots of medications. It also helps to decrease exposure to cigarette smoke and other known environmental irritants. It's not unusual for women who did not previously have allergies to suffer with nasal congestion while pregnant, as the hormones of pregnancy can cause swelling of the nasal passages and increased mucus production. In these cases, symptoms typically are worst in the second trimester and resolve within a few days after childbirth.

I'm still suffering from a sore throat, ear popping, and sinus congestion. It just doesn't seem to want to go away. I have had allergies all my life but if they get this bad, they usually resolve within a week or so. I have a few ideas of things to try that are natural, so I will try those before just deciding to stand it! I'm also thankful that I have a chiropractor appointment today as I'm having a hard time taking a deep breath because of a sharp pain in my ribs. I'm pretty sure that something got pulled out of place while we were hiking during our camping trip. I love my dog but he can pull pretty hard when he wants to go somewhere fast!

We had a good time last night attending a Cincinnati Red's game. We had great tickets on the 2nd row right by 3rd base. I'm not so much a sports fan as I am just a fan of the atmosphere of major league sports. Anyway, we had fun even though the Red's didn't have a good game!

Only 15 more days until our ultrasound! I'm so very excited!

No comments: