Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Plans Explained

Our plan for solid food for Abigail is to wait. This article explains my reasons way better than I can, so I am linking to it. It will be nice and simple when we travel to Hawaii to only have her on breastmilk (she'll turn 6 months while we're there). We'll do a lot of hanging out together! :)

http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/solidfood.html

I especially like the part where they say you are substituting a inferior food (rice cereal or veggies) for a superior food (breastmilk). Abigail is obviously not hurting for food. In her checkup yesterday, she weighed 17 pounds, was 25 1/2 inches long, and her head size was 17 inches. She was over 90% for all categories and was in the 97+% for weight. I wonder if she will be tall like her dad.

We had a bit of weather excitement last night. Around 10:00 pm the tornado sirens by us started to go off. When you're from Kansas, tornado sirens mean serious business (like someone has seen one), and so you're supposed to go to the basement. Andrew looked at an online radar and showed the path of a funnel cloud and storm headed straight for us. Also, Dewey was barking up a storm (pun intended) because of the sirens, so we all headed downstairs. Abigail actually stayed asleep in my arms for 10 or 15 minutes before finally waking up and discovering that she was NOT in her bed. She wasn't a happy camper about that! Anyway, I felt sort of silly sitting in my basement during a thunderstorm but I guess a lot of people in our area did as well (my co-worker at least) and it's better to be safe than blown away! We learned this lesson during our last trip to Kansas when we "slept" through a really bad storm only to wake up the next morning to see tornado damage about a mile from where we were staying. Oops, we should have turned on the TV at least. So, at 10:30 the sirens quit and we headed upstairs to bed. I fed Abigail once more, so she lasted until 5:30 am (why can't she sleep for 1/2 hour more when my alarm goes off; why oh why!!). That was our excitement for the night.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We also went down to the basement with the people who lived in the same direction as the storm that were here for the baby shower. I kept going upstairs to get things ready (water, flashlights, etc) and by the time I was ready to settle in down there, it was around 10 and things had cleared up a little. I think the storms have finally all cleared through the area!
-Susan

Jennifer said...

BIG caution about that article--breast feeding does NOT provide birth control!!! Ask my mother and Amber Grey--that's why they have babies 11-13 months apart.
That's all... :)

Arielle said...

My younger son kept asking about going to the basement and I told him we didn't need to bother. Guess I should have?!

As your breast feeding schedule slows down the opportunity for ovulation increases. I too got pregnant when my firstborn was only 8 months. BUT I had him on foods as well at that time. Breast Feeding exclusively prolongs the start of OV, BUT everyone is different. My mother-in-law was pregnant by her 6 wk check up between for 3rd and 4th sons AND she was breast feeding. Just pray a lot. :0)

Unknown said...

Yikes! Thanks for all the tips, girls, on birth control. I'd like to at least wait until Abigail is 2 and maybe 3 yrs old before trying for baby #2!

Jennifer said...

Another note on birth control--I just had Mirena done. So far, it's been awesome. I can't take any of the pills w/ estrogen (and even the super low dose ones) b/c it was too much hormone for me. Plus, with kids there was NO way I'd be able to remember to take them at the exact same time. The reason we changed methods was b/c after Jacob was born, my cycle brought on horrendous pain for 2 days. So Mirena it is--no worries about pills, no hormones (I don't think--no estrogen anyway), and it will reduce the pain with cycles. Just a thought. It is expensive, but after Jacob's birth, my deductible was met so we didn't have to pay a dime. It pays for itself in a year though and is good for 5 years.
www.mirena-us.com
That's all :)

Anonymous said...

Well, who could argue with your plans. Abigail is such a cute and healthy baby!

Jenny