Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!

This day is a very special one because it is my mom's birthday. As I continue on the wonderful and challenging path that is motherhood, I am increasingly thankful for my own mother. I want to honor her today by sharing how I want to be like my mom!

My mom the warrior! Growing up I took for granted that my mom prayed for us. As I grew into adulthood and went through some troubling times in college, this knowledge became the greatest comfort to me. The problems I faced always became managable when I remembered that my mom was praying for me, specifically and daily. I am so thankful that I can continually go to her with my problems and concerns and I know that she will take these concerns before our heavenly Father. When I went into labor, Andrew and I made the decision to only call one person (because we needed patience and calmness in the labor process) and we decided to call my mom, so that she could be praying for us as Abigail made her way into the world. I can only hope that I am as faithful of a prayer warrior to my daughter as she grows as my own mother is to me! It is a blessing to me every day!

My mom the comforter! It is widely known that I am a wimp. Yes, I did have a drug-free birth but I still don't like to feel sick at all. My mom has always been a wonderful caretaker. I was shocked when I got married that my husband didn't act like my mom when I was sick. He didn't know to automatically make me feel better by bringing me a cool wet washcloth or toast cut into four squares with tea! :) I remember feeling relieved to see my mom in the recovery room when I woke up from gallbladder surgery. I can only hope that I am as good of comforter to my daughter as my mom was and is to me!

My mom the supporter! My mom and my dad (and grandparents) rarely missed any of our events growing up. When I played tennis in High School, I remember telling them that they really didn't need to come to the far away meets. They always showed up anyway to support me. My mom was also the one who started me on my music "career". She was always there to practice with me when I was singing, and to make me practice the piano! :) While I was in college, she even drove over to play for me a time or two. I was so spoiled!

My mom the "understander"! This is one that I took for granted until I got married. I think my parents knew in the back of their minds that we would end up in Ohio. When we told them we were moving here, I'm sure the news was sad to them but they never (for one moment) made me feel guilty for moving away from them. I consider this a very unique gift from my mom and dad, as I know several friends whose parents have given them a guilt trip if they decide to move an hour away, let alone 15 hours, like we did! They continue to be this way today. They are very thankful for the time that we do get to spend with them but if we have to cut things short because of vacation time, etc, they are understanding! Amazing!

I hope you have a wonderful birthday, Mom! Thank you so much for all you have done for me. I cannot express how much your love and support has meant to me and continues to mean to me today. I hope that someday I can be as loving and supportive to my kids as you are to me!

Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great post. We have a wonderful mother. I realize that more every year!

Jenny