Friday, May 30, 2008

I think pregnancy is still weird . . . and parenting.

I am still feeling some effects from pregnancy. A few weeks ago, I noticed that my hair started to fall out by the fist full. If any of you know my husband, you know he is grossed out by thinks like excess hair (not connected to the head). I have tried to keep it swept up from the bathroom floor, rinsed out of the shower and the sink, and even pulled out of my hair brush, but it is nearly impossible. I was beginning to wonder what was happening to me, but then I read about postpartum hair loss. Apparently I'm not alone in this problem. Also, since giving birth, the side of my left leg (thigh really) has been numb. I wasn't terribly concerned about this. I figured I would mention it to my chiropractor if it didn't go away soon. It has taken 4 months but it is beginning to wake up! It gets tingly and painful at times. I suppose a nerve was pinched. And last but certainly not least, my wrists! A few weeks before Abigail's birth, my wrists began to be terribly painful. My chiro called it carpal tunnel, but it isn't in that joint of the hand, so I don't know what the issue is. Right now, if I extend my thumbs too far from my hand (like you do when picking up a baby by the arm pits. Yikes!) the joint pops out of place. Very very painful indeed! I'm trying not to see a doctor about any of these things because well . . . I just had a baby and weird things like this happen but also I am terribly cheap. I have a hard time even parting with the $20 co-pay. Anyone else had these physical problems?

I have been thinking a lot lately about expectations. I jokingly say, at times, that I set my expectations so low that I will always be pleasantly surprised by people. They will always meet my expectations. I don't think this is necessarily a good way to live! :) When I was a young girl, I loved to play make-believe. I mostly played princess, bride, and well . . . mother. One day it was a bit of a shock to me, I think, that I most certainly was not going to grow up to be queen someday and it was a bitter disappointment. My thoughts on reality swung the opposite direction and now I feel I am a very realistic person, perhaps too much so at times.

Sorry if this post is rambly. There are just weird random things I have been thinking about lately. Abigail has been asleep for almost two hours now, and I probably should have been as well. Oh well, I got the dishes washed, some pumping done (she eats SO much these days that it's hard to keep up), and some TV watched. Time for bed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pregnancy is totally weird. For something considered so NATURAL - what the hell? Post partum, y hair fell out a ton and I'm actually having some pain in my left thumb joint. And Seamus is almost a year old! My feet got wider and none of my shoes fit right anymore. I live in these really ugly Crocs because they are so comfy and I think I'm getting to that "I don't care what people think stage of life." And while my weight dropped with the first...the second - HELL NO!

THANK YOU so much for your comment. It's always a GREAT motivator to write more when I know someone out there is reading and hopefully enjoying.
Susie

Arielle said...

It does do weird things! I had the carpel tunnel throughout the pregnancy and it only flares up now if I have too much water retention. But now I have hip issues and ovulation pains and symptoms that NEVER existed before. Plus I got my first gray hair with my first pregnancy. On and On.

Also it is fairly common to miscarry the second baby. I found this when we lost out second child.

But I would NOT trade it all if it meant not having the boys. They really are worth all the aches and pains and quirky issues.

Battle wounds, Baby. Wear the scars with dignity and pride!!!