Sunday, November 13, 2005

Tribute

Some of you know that my Great Aunt Thelma passed away last week. My talented mother (that's where Jenny gets it) wrote a wonderful tribute to her and so I really wanted to share it on here. I hope we can continue this godly legacy to the next generation.

-------------------------------

As a child, I remember looking forward to going to Aunt Thelma and Uncle Everett's house, not only because I got to play with my cousins, but because my aunt and uncle treated me with love and respect. Aunt Thelma was a great cook. Her dishes were always tasty as well as beautiful to behold. I can't remember how old I was when our two families took a vacation together in Colorado. One event that stands out was our evening trip to the local dump to watch for bears. We kids had been told not to talk because the bears would hear us and be scared away. Every few minutes Aunt Thelma just had to make a comment. I remember thinking how funny it was that we kids were being quiet and she wasn't! Looking back I wonder how a bear could have heard us talking quietly in a van with the windows rolled up! If anything, it was probably the presence of our van that kept the bears away.

When Kurt and I married, Aunt Thelma presented us with a beautiful set of sheets and pillowcases she had cross-stitched with our names. What a precious gift! Another time she made a yarn cat and kitten for me. I remember she always had some kind of craft project under construction. Another special memory of Aunt Thelma and Uncle Everett is their singing "Bringing in the Sheaves" at Thanksgiving in Manhattan. Although they were "up in years", they were willing to stand in front of everyone and share their musical talents. Aunt Thelma had a sweet sense of humor and would occasionally (gently) tease her loved ones, but she wasn't afraid to make fun of herself.

It was especially hard for Aunt Thelma when my mother died, for that meant Aunt Thelma was the only one of the Seaman children left. She often bemoaned the fact that she had been the sickliest child and was now the last one living. Although the later years of her life were full of pain, she was longsuffering and patient under that difficult trial. Throughout her lifetime she experienced the untimely death of her father, the sudden deaths of her sisters and brother, the death of her mother, and the decline and death of her dear husband. She bore up patiently under many physical and emotional trials. Although Aunt Thelma didn't appear to dwell on the sad things in her life, she was open enough to share her feelings at times. She always seemed so happy to see me and the family when we would stop in for a visit. Even with her hearing deficiency, my aunt was interested in keeping up with the activities of her children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, and their children. I often marveled at her ability to remember what each one was doing. She loved us all.

Aunt Thelma raised two wonderful children who are serving the Lord. She was a good and godly woman who knew her "good works" weren't good enough to earn eternal life in heaven. I'm so glad her trust was in the sacrifice of her Savior, Jesus Christ. She lived a life of service in gratitude for what Jesus did for her on the cross. Now she has been released from her pain and is enjoying fellowship with her Savior, her parents, her husband, her brother and sisters and many other loved ones. Praise God! I thank the Lord for giving me an aunt like Aunt Thelma.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I never knew so much about Aunt Thelma. Thanks for the post. Your mom is a great writer.