Friday, November 11, 2005

It was the best of times and well . . .

I am still having conflicting emotions about moving. I realize that this is completely natural and it is ok for me to feel sad about leaving friends and family. Many of my friends around here are helping me to feel better by talking about times they will visit and things we can do to stay in touch. When I am upset and crying Andrew and I usually have this conversation:

Me: "I don't want to leave my friends and family." (Boo hoo)
Andrew: "You can make new friends and we will come to visit family and we can communicate through technology, etc."
Me: "I don't want new friends, I like the ones I have." (boo hoo)
Andrew: "Just because we move it doesn't mean you have to stop being friends with the people that are here, you will just have a different kind of friendship."
Me: "Oh yeah (sobs subsiding). I guess I am still good friends with people that I don't live near and I can still be close with my family even from a distance."

Isn't my husband so smart?! Anyway, I am beginning to get used to the idea and feel better about it. I am friends with people in Lithuania, Minnesota, Illnois, California, etc, so I can be friends with people in Kansas too! Won't be the same I know but it's all I have to work with right now. We are trying to pack everything we want to do around here in the next two weeks. Last night I went with some girls to help set up for an alumni event in Wichita. We had so much fun. We went shopping together (skipped out on work a little early) and I came away with two purses and a pair of shoes (some of that is Christmas presents). Anyway, we didn't get back until 11:00 p.m. last night but it was so worth the lack of sleep. Tonight we are going to a friend's birthday party, tomorrow to the World View weekend in McPherson and to a local area show in the evening. I will hopefully be able to pack a bit more on Sunday! Whew! Anyway, this experience is teaching me a valuable lesson (and many more, I'm sure but this is the one that is presenting itself at the present time): Make the most of the time you have and never pass up an opportunity to get together with people!

No comments: