Monday, April 18, 2005

My Weight

I know the title of this blog may look a bit disturbing and you may be shying away from reading this but I promise it will be ok. I'm not going to list my weight, so it's ok. I had a troubling experience about two weeks ago. My student worker came in and told me (not very sensitive on his part) that someone asked him if I were pregnant! I'm not, of course, but it was very upsetting to me that someone could think that about me because of how I look. Someone might as well have said, "Why is she fat?" Also, I brought out last spring's lovely clothes (spring is my favorite season), capri's, sandels, sleeveless shirts. I now know why I liked this past winter, big clothes, sweaters, turtle necks, etc, to hide . . . well things. I was sad to find out that most of my spring things from last year either didn't fit or just didn't look good. So, I am going to try again. This time the difference will be that I am going to start small and take babysteps. Rome wasn't built in a day and I won't lose 50 lbs in a month either, which is my goal. (A steep goal but there will be smaller ones along the way.) Andrew is going to help me write this all out (I'm sure he will come up with some neat and cool computer based system) so that I can have little rewards along the way. And not food rewards either. My first goal is that I am going to start by eating just one serving of fruits and veggies a day. This is so embarassing for me to say but, yes mom, I wasn't doing that for a while. I have been doing quite well since my last shopping trip, exceeding my goal and eating more like 4 servings a day (on average). In fact I am getting ready to have my mid-afternoon snack of fresh strawberries and I had carrots, cucumber, and broccoli for lunch (along with rice and a piece of yummy roast). I am posting all of this personal private stuff here because I really want to be held accountable. I don't just want to loose weight to look good but I really do want to be healthy. So, hopefully with the help of my husband, family, friends, and my sweet puppy who motivates me to go on walks, I will start to become healthy.

For exercise I am planning on continuing to walk with my puppy. We walk almost two miles in the evenings and we make it out about four to five times a week, depending on what is going on during the weekend. I am also going to start doing a short weight-lifting set that I can do while watching TV or listening to music. I am going to start small with these goals and see where they take me. Before we got the puppy I was doing so well with exercise. I made it for 2 1/2 straight months without missing a week of about 4 to 5 days a week of exercise. Of course, this all came to a halt when the puppy came, not a lot of time. I was doing difficult things to but the problem... I couldn't keep it up. I made it to difficult. I am going to start small and see where it takes me and I am going to focus on eating right and then making sure that I do something to work out several times a week. I don't think the exercise will be a problem now that the dog needs his exercise to burn off that energy.

Ok, this is really long. I need to go. I will try to use this blog to keep you up to date but hopefully not overwhelm you or myself with this issue. I am going to finish out the day strong by going to puppy kindergarten and trying to teach Dewey to sit, stay, and walk nice.

No comments: