Monday, December 06, 2010

The bunny

Elsie has attached herself to a small stuffed pink bunny. I thought she might be attached to it several months ago but we learned the hard way that she will NOT nap without it (we tried at Nana's - no go).

Today while I was pumping (a little explanation below) I could hear her screaming her little heart out in her room while trying to take a nap. It didn't sound like her. She'll fuss and whine but rarely just screams. So I went in there and poor pink bunny had been lost over the side of the crib.

I think she's attached!

*We're still "breastfeeding" even though I'd bet she's getting less than 1 ounce per day. Nursing moms: You know those smaller Medela bottles you can pump into? Well, I don't hardly even cover the bottom of those with milk these days. I am feeling oh-so-sad about all of this. Every time my husband talks about it I can't help but tear up (see!). I just STILL feel like it's too early. It's not Elsie's fault that another baby is on the way yet she gets the short end of the stick. She'll be 13 months on Wednesday.

So . . . for now I'm just nursing her if she'll accept it (sometimes it's so frustrating she just gives up) and then I pump 3 or 4 times a day and give her the dinky amount I pump in her nightly bottle. I don't know how long this will last. My goal is probably one more month but at this point I'm not sure we'll make it.

So sad!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm having nursing trouble, too. Except my baby's only 3 weeks old!!! :( He's become a lazy sucker, just like the other two were. He'll nurse for practically an hour and then be hungry again an hour later. Which equals 99% of my time spent in a chair feeding him. But if I feed him from a bottle (pumped), he'll eat around 4 oz. and go for 3+ hrs (5 hrs at night). My supply is fine-I can pump 6oz at a sitting. I just don't know how to make him suck better! I'm determined to breastfeed longer this time (3 months is all the longer it lasted w the other 2) b/c we honestly couldn't afford formula this time around! So for now I'm just pumping and feeding him until I can figure out how to make him nurse better.