Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Stepping Back

I received wonderful and wise advice from a fellow mom around the time I was due to have Noah. This mom had three kids of similar ages as mine.

Her primary advice was . . . no guilt . . . no pressure. Just take it easy and do what you have to do.

As moms, there is so much pressure to do this, put your child in this, be this way or that way when really only the parents know what is best for their own kids. I truly do believe this.

In some ways I have fallen off this bandwagon of "don't push yourself, enjoy this time" advice that I received 8 months ago . . . at least in my mind.

I feel like I should be more involved in this or that, etc. Giving more, being more, doing more. I remembered my sweet friend's advice a week or so ago and I'm back. Back to saying "no" if it really doesn't benefit my family or if it pushes the boundaries of what is safe and fun for all of us. After all, they're only going to be this young and needy once. My mission and my calling is single-minded and focused right now and that is to serve my family.

I love to life purposefully. I don't want to just agree to do activities and make plans because it isn't bad. Instead I'd rather only plan to do things that lift us up and encourage us to live our lives more fully for Christ!

What sort of things do you feel pressured to do to "keep up" with those around you? Or what have you said "no" to lately that has freed you up to just be still and enjoy life and the relationships around you?

No comments: